Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Update

An update on Matthew:

We have made some changes hopefully for the good.  Matthew has been seeing a psychologist since the end of December.  We really like him and Matthew enjoys going to therapy.  The doctor also has a therapy dog (a solid white German Shepard) that sits in on the sessions so Matthew likes that too!  I feel that the therapy has been really good for him.  Something that this doctor has mentioned that hasn't dawned on me is that Matthew may have sleep apnea.  Which would cause alot of the problems Matthew has been having.  It wouldn't be the cause for everything but it could be making things worse.  So, he has referred us to an ENT doctor to check that out.  We will see that doctor mid February and I am anxious to see what he thinks.

Also, we made a decision that was risky but I think it was the right thing.  We took Matthew off of all of his medication.  I spoke with the psychiatrist about it before I did it and he agreed that it would be worth a try.  I've been praying about what to do and I just felt a peace about doing this. I just feel that the age he is at right now, hormones are starting to kick in, and that, mixed with the medication, is just causing more harm than good.  He has been off of the medicine for 4 days and so far things have been better (I'm knocking on wood here!).  I'm hoping and praying that we are starting to see the light at the end of the long, dark and scary tunnel! (I'm seeing more of my Matthew!)

Home school is going good.  It's not perfect, but it seems like every week it gets a little bit better.  He is a little behind but we are working on getting caught up.  He does like it much better than going to public school.  I keep telling him that he has to do well and get his work done or he will have to go back to public school (that motivates him to try harder!). 

I know that we will still have rough days but I sure am thankful for each and every good day that we have!

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1




"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment